Making curriculum choices in Year 9 is a very important part of your time in school. It is an opportunity for you to take control of your education and shape the way you want your future to be. The options you choose for Years 10 and 11 will affect how you spend your time at school for the next two years. The choices you make may also influence what course or job you decide to do after Year 11.
It is important to choose subjects that will interest you and motivate you. Spend some time thinking about what you enjoy doing, what keeps you interested in something and what makes you work hard. Remember that you are not alone in making these decisions, everyone in Year 9 is going through the same process. Teachers, friends, parents, carers and family will be able to guide advise and support you in this important decision making process.
Good reasons for choosing an option
- You are good at the subject
- You think you will enjoy the course
- It fits your career ideas and plans
- It goes well with your other choices
- You think you might want to continue studying it post 16
- Your research shows that it will interest you and motivate you to learn.
Bad reasons for choosing an option
- Your friends have chosen it
- You think it will be easy
- You think it’s a good option for a boy/girl
- Someone else thinks it is a good idea
- You like the teacher you have now
- You did not have time to research your options properly
Thursday 23rd November – Consultation Year 9 Parents and students – assembly and letters out. Friday 8th December 2017 – Deadline for feedback from Year 9 Parents and students.
Thursday 14th December – Governors Directors – Final Decision.
Options Process: Key Dates:
30th November 2017: Year 9 Parents Evening: Discussion of choices
17th January 2018: Year 9 Options Assembly: Process and Choices (SLT)
18th January 2018: Year 9 Options Evening: Discussion of choices
1st Feb 2018: Academic Monitoring Day: Discussion / Checking of choices by Tutor
w/b: 5th Feb 2018: HOH checking of Options Choices – further discussion with students/parents as appropriate
w/b 12th Feb 2018: SLT checking of Options Choices – final discussion with students/parents as appropriate