The current Year 10 and 11 are following the OCR J253 syllabus.
GCSE Business Studies (OCR exam board)
The course consists of three sections
- Unit A291 Marketing and enterprise – 25% of the qualification. Controlled assessment.
- Unit A292 Business and people 1 hour exam – 25% of the qualification
- Unit A293 Production, finance and the external business environment. Candidates answer questions on a pre-release case study – 50% of the qualification.
What can you do to help?
Encourage your son/daughter to watch the news especially the more in depth economic coverage given by the BBC1 and Channel 4. Encourage them to read the Business or Money sections of a weekend broadsheet paper such as the Times, Guardian, Independent, Telegraph, Observer etc.
Encourage then to watch business related TV programmes and documentaries.
Topics to discuss at home.
- Unfair dismissal
- Age, sex and race discrimination in the work place
- Recruitment and motivation in the work place.
- The role of Trade Unions
- Functional areas of businesses, marketing, finance, human resources etc.
- Business structure and line management
- Competition and global markets
- Supply and demand
- Primary, secondary and tertiary industry
- Sources of finance
- Cash flow and break even.
Head of Faculty – Mr Dickson
Business Studies Teachers – Mr Ogborne, Miss Murphy and Mr Dickson